Deputies locate lost child, prevent overdose
On 01-30-2024 Wagoner County Deputies J. Hutton and Lt. V. Kennedy were dispatched to the 10100 Block of South 289th East Avenue in reference to a child in need of supervision. Upon arrival the deputies observed an approximately one-year-old child that had been found wandering around the neighborhood by alone.
The caller stated that they were watching their grandchildren play and outside and a short time later they observed a "Child" walking behind the play equipment, walking towards their trampoline. Due to the situation Wagoner County Emergency Management Director Heath Underwood was notified to assist the deputies. Additionally, deputies D. Clark, R. Lawrence, and J. Calico responded to assist with locating the child’s residence.
Wagoner County Deputies started a door-to-door search in an attempt to locate the child’s guardian. After speaking with many residents in the area, deputies observed an open door with the screen pushed out at a nearby residence. After deputies made entry into the residence, they discovered a subject in the bedroom of the residence experiencing a medical emergency. Deputies were able to wake the female subject up and advised her of the situation. The subject was suspected of ingesting Fentanyl prior to the child walking away from the residence. Coweta EMS responded to the scene.
The Wagoner County Department of Human Services responded and released the child to family members. The Muscogee Creek Nation Lighthorse Police responded due to the tribal status of the individuals involved after Wagoner County Deputies had secured the scene. Any charges will be filed by the Muscogee Creek Nation Lighthorse Police.
Wagoner County Sheriff Chris Elliott stated “This could have turned into a horrible situation very quickly if not for the quick actions of the first responders and deputies on scene. Deputies and Wagoner County Emergency Management canvased the area going door to door until they located the child’s residence. I am proud of everyone that worked so hard to ensure the safety of the child.”